Friday 17 February 2012

Valentine's Day

I made a cake for Valentine's Day. What self-respecting cakey type person would let a day like that pass without... well, cake. I decided to go for something slightly different from my usual, and tried out a Mary Berry recipe that my mum wrote down for me.

I tested out my new heart shaped tins. The recipe was a standard 4, 4, 4, 2 mix with added cocoa powder, but I think I should have gone for the 6, 6, 6, 3 option as, while the cakes rose, they didn't finish particularly thick. But once they were sandwiched together (with chocolate buttercream) the resulting height wasn't too bad.

The icing used to cover it was one I've never done before - I melted butter and cocoa powder over a low heat, added... milk (I think!!) and then icing sugar, and ended up with something I could pour over the cake which then set very quickly. If anyone knows what this kind of icing is called, feel free to enlighten me :-)

So once this was poured over the cake and spread out relatively easily, I wiped down the cake board (it got a bit messy) and was then left with a cake that had a beautiful smooth finish on top, but not so nice around the sides. So I needed to cover the sides, and I had very few ideas. One was to use chocolate fingers, but that would have meant going to the shop, and I've already covered the subject of my laziness (and I'm not going to tell you again because I'm too lazy!) So I got out my laptop and started surfing for inspiration. I found it in the form of ribbons. I'd never made an icing bow before, and I'd seen various tutorials on the subject, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I forgot to add that I'd spent the previous afternoon making slightly more than a dozen fondant roses, which is alarmingly time consuming. And I don't have any calyx cutters, so that presented another problem. I had to try and be clever with fondant leaves instead.

So this is what I ended up with (didn't taste too bad either):

 Bit wonky, never mind...



I entered it into a competition but it didn't even get shortlisted... maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment