Saturday 19 November 2011

More biscuity madness

So I decided to have another go at the gingerbread again this week, since the last attempt was so much fun (and tasty).

I discovered something I didn't know about food colouring. It doesn't obey the same rules as paint. What I mean is: if you mix red paint and blue paint you get purple paint, right? So if you mix red food colouring and blue food colouring you get purple food colouring, right? Wrong. It goes brown. Not sure how that works, but hey ho, at least it looked like chocolate and not something a lot less appealing. A similar thing occurred with my fireworks cake before - I tried to make navy blue with blue and black colourings, but ended up with a dirty shade of green and had to start again.

I don't have any pictures of my 'chocolate' icing, as they have been scoffed now :) but here are my efforts from today:


I told my boyfriend I'd do one of his face...


Those are mine... they've got my name on 'em.

I had a go at using some of the different nozzles that came with the syringe I bought recently, they are mostly different star shapes.

The first attempt went a bit wrong...
But I sort of got the hang of it.

Then I just enjoyed playing around with patterns. I did discover that the fondant icing needs to be quite firm for the star shaped nozzle to work, else it just collapses. (As in the ^ shaped one in the middle of the pic).


I did a hand (badly)...

...then I got bored. :-D



No comments:

Post a Comment