Tuesday 10 April 2012

Easter Basket Cake

Well, Cake Masters have had another competition on for Easter. I don't think this one has a prize, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

Ever so original, I thought I'd have a go at an Easter basket style of cake, as there is a technique of piping butter cream where you can create a basketweave effect which I'd not had a go at before. I think you really need a special nozzle for the job but I made do with one of the plastic ones I got with my piping kit from Hobbycraft - it seemed to do the job.

I wrapped the sides of the cake with fondant icing before piping on the design, so that the sides were even. On the top is chocolate butter cream (which you can't actually see under all the decorations), many many many Creme Egg Minis (thanks Cadbury) and three chicks made from fondant. I added some flowers and leaves for a bit of colour:


The piping was very fiddly and didn't come out as neatly as I'd have liked. I think I got the icing consistency wrong as it kept curling up as it came out the nozzle. But I was pleased with the overall effect, even though I got butter cream all over the kitchen floor (it kept coming out of the top of the bag!)

I was going to add a handle, but I didn't think a fondant one would keep its shape, and I didn't want to spoil the fact that the entire thing is edible by making one from cardboard, so I just left it.

Still, not bad for a first attempt at a basket, I like to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment